|PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS' RESOURCES
CSA offers both research and course programs.
- Regular PhD / MTech (Research)
1. M.E. / M.Tech. / B.E. / B.Tech. in Computer Science/Engineering, Electronics/Electrical Communication, Information Science/Technology.
2. M.Sc. or equivalent degree in Mathematics, Statistics or Computer Science.
3. B.Sc. or equivalent degree followed by AMIE in any engineering disciplines or Grad. IETE with a formal background in Data Structures and Programming.
4. B.Sc. or equivalent degree in Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Computer Science or Electronics followed by MCA.
- Selection procedure
- Candidates with a M.E. / M.Tech applying for the Ph.D. degree will be shortlisted for the interview based solely on their academic record.
- Candidates with other qualifying degrees applying for MTech (Research) or Ph.D. degree will be shortlisted for the interview based on their performance in the appropriate qualifying examination:
2. CSIR/UGC NET for JRF
3. NBHM Screening Test
4. JEST (Theoretical Computer Science)
5. Inspire Fellowship
Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview held at IISc, Bangalore during June every year. Look at the IISc Admissions page for detailed eligibility criteria for admission into other departments.
- Research interviews
The interview will consist of two parts. The first part will be a written test conducted on the day of the interview. The second part will be an oral interview. Candidates can choose up to three research areas of interest in which the oral interview will be conducted. He/she will be first tested in the basic subjects corresponding to the chosen research
areas, conditionally followed by more advanced questions pertaining to specific areas of research chosen by the candidate. Candidates are expected to be acquainted with the research areas of the department.
Once selected, a candidate will be allowed to choose a faculty member working in one of the chosen research areas (in the specified priority order) as his/her research supervisor. It is advisable for prospective students to have a detailed look at the faculty profiles and the research areas of the department.
Note: Selected students can only choose supervisors working in the areas that they previously indicated during the research interview. Please see this note for additional information.
Note: There are many good books available for each of the basic subjects that are tested for in the interviews. For your convenience we list here a couple representative books for each of the basic subjects.
- MTech (CSE)
- Qualification: BE / B Tech or equivalent degree in Computer Science /
Engineering, Information Technology , Information Science / Engineering.
- Selection procedure: Selection is based on GATE score / rank only. In case of candidates who have secured same GATE score / rank, their performance in the qualifying examination would be used for resolving the tie.