If you want to add a news item, send us a one line title and a short description.
- The demo of QUEST, a tool that implements a new and robust approach to database query processing, is one of three to win the Best Demo award at VLDB 2014 in China. The conceptual foundations of the tool were presented in the ACM Sigmod Conference held in USA earlier this year. The team involved in creating the demo are Anshuman Dutt (PhD student in CSA), Sumit Neelam (recently graduated ME student from CSA) and Prof. Jayant Haritsa.
- Y. Narahari has been selected for the 2014 ACCS-CDAC Foundation Award.
He is one of the two recipients of this award this year, the other
being Prof. Manindra Agarwal of IIT-Kanpur. The
ACCS-CDAC Foundation Award was instituted in 2004 to foster the development and
dissemination of the theory and applications of Computing and Communications
sciences. The award is being presented to Y. Narahari for his contributions to game
theory and mechanism design.
The Award will be presented at the inaugural session of the ADCOM 2014 conference
in Bangalore on 19th September 2014.
- Professor Jayant Haritsa who works in database systems design has assumed
responsibility as Chairman, CSA. He takes over from Professor Y. Narahari
who was chairing the Department since December 10, 2009. Jayant's
predecessors include: Professors I.G. Sarma (1971-79), G. Krishna
(1979-82), S.V. Rangaswamy (1982-84), S. Nageshwar Rao (1984-86), M.R.
Chidambara (1987-90), N. Viswanadham (1990-96), U.R. Prasad (1996-99),
C.E. Veni Madhavan (1999-2001), Y.N. Srikant (2001-2006), M. Narasimha
Murty (2006-2009), and Y. Narahari (2010-2014).
Jayant is a Fellow of IEEE, a Distinguished Scientist of ACM, a Fellow of
Indian Academy of Sciences, a Fellow of Indian National Academy of
Engineering, and a Fellow of National Academy of Sciences of India. He has
received prestigious awards including the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize
(2009), Vikram Sarabhai Research Award (2012), Swarnajayanti Fellowship
(2002), C.V. Raman Young Scientist Award (2001), and Distinguished Alumnus
Award of IIT-Madras (2012). He is a recipient of Faculty Awards from a
host of global R & D labs including IBM, Google, and Microsoft.
- Dr. Rudrapatna Kallikote Shyamasundar, Senior Professor and JC Bose
National Fellow, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, has been
selected for the prestigious IISc Distinguished Alumnus Award - 2014.
Prof. Shyamasundar has the distinction of being the first Ph.D. graduate
produced by the Department of CSA (the then "School of Automation") in
1975. Prof. Shyamasundar has made significant contributions in several
aspects of theoretical computer science. He is a Fellow, ACM and a Fellow,
IEEE, and a fellow of TWAS (Academy of Sciences of the Developing World).
He is also a fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences, Indian National
Science Academy, Indian National Academy of Engineering, and the National
Academy of Sciences, India.
- Dr. Raj Jain, currently Professor of Computer Science and Engineering at
Washington University in St. Louis, has been selected for the prestigious
IISc Distinguished Alumnus Award for 2014. Previous recipients of this
award from CSA include: Prof. B.L. Deekshatulu, Prof. V. Rajaraman, Prof.
N. Viswanadham, Dr. Umeshwar Dayal, and Dr. Srini P. Rajan.
Dr. Raj Jain was earlier the CTO and one of the Co-founders of Nayna
Networks, Inc - a next generation telecommunications systems company in
San Jose, CA. He was a Senior Consulting Engineer at Digital Equipment
Corporation in Littleton, Mass and then a professor of Computer and
Information Sciences at Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. Professor
Raj Jain is a Fellow of IEEE, a Fellow of ACM, a Fellow of AAAS, a winner
of ACM SIGCOMM Test of Time award, CDAC-ACCS Foundation Award 2009 and
ranks among the top 90 in CiteSeerX's list of Most Cited Authors in
Computer Science. For more deatils on Prof. Raj Jain, please click
- Professor M. Narasimha Murty has taken over as the Dean of the Faculty of
Engineering, IISc effective from August 1, 2014. He will be officiating in
this capacity until July 31, 2016. CSA faculty members who were deans
earlier include: Prof. D.K. Subramanian and Prof. I.G. Sarma.
- Professor Y. Narahari has taken over as Chairman, Division of
Electrical Sciences, IISc. CSA faculty members who were chairpersons of
the division earlier include: Prof. N. Viswanadham and Prof. G. Krishna.
- Professor P. Balaram, Director, IISc inuagurated the newly constructed
second floor and extended entrance of the Department at 4 PM on July 28,
2014. The new second floor has 12 office rooms, 12 labs, two conference
rooms, and several discussion areas. Professor N. Balakrishnan, former
Associate Director and Professor Anurag Kumar, Chairman, Division of
Electrical Sciences, graced the occasion.
- Maria Francis (PhD student, Algorithmic Algebra), and Lavanya Sita Tekumalla (PhD student, Machine Learning) have been selected for the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship for 2014.
- Dr. Arnab Bhattacharyya has been awarded the DST's Ramanujan Fellowship, effective from July 2014.
- Paper by Uday Bondhugula, Vinayaka Bandishti, and co-authors on “Tiling and Optimizing Time-Iterated Computations over Periodic Domains” is selected as a best paper candidate at the IEEE International conference on Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques (PACT 2014). The paper was ranked among the top 4 from a total of over 200 submissions.
- Shweta Jain, who works with Prof. Y. Narahari on mechanism design for multi-armed bandit problems, has been awarded the Microsoft Research India Ph.D. Fellowship 2014.
- H.P. Pallavi Maiya, who works with Dr. Aditya Kanade on automated testing and verification of software, has been awarded the 2014 Google India Fellowship in Programming Languages and Compilers.
- Bhavana Kanukurthi and Arpita Patra have joined CSA as Assistant Professors.
Bhavana Kanukurthi received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from Boston University.
She was a postdoctoral researcher at UCLA before joining IISc. Her research
interests include cryptography and security.
Arpita Patra received her Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from IIT Madras.
She has worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the Department of Computer Science
at Aarhus University, ETH Zurich, and the University of Bristol. Her research
interests include theoretical cryptography, with a focus on secure multi-party and
two party computation protocols, and in general on cryptographic protocols.
- Ashwin Guha, Ph.D student at CSA, has been selected for the TCS Ph.D. Fellowship Award, 2014.
- Prof. Y. Narahari is selected by Adobe Research Labs, Bangalore, for a
Faculty Award in the form of a three year unrestricted research grant for
conducting research on game theoretic approaches to social network
analysis and monetization.
- IISc has promoted Dr. V. Susheela Devi as Principal Research Scientist.
- The book "Game Theory and Mechanism Design” by Prof. Y. Narahari has been published by the IISc Press and the World Scientific Publishing. This book offers a self-sufficient treatment of a key tool, game theory and mechanism design, to model, analyze, and solve centralized as well as decentralized design problems involving multiple autonomous agents that interact strategically in a rational and intelligent way. The book provides a balanced treatment of non-cooperative game theory, cooperative game theory, as well as mechanism design and is the first of its kind in focussing on engineering, computer, and web applications.
For more details on the book, click here.
- Dr. Suparna Bhattacharyya's PhD thesis, under the supervision of Prof. K. Gopinath, has won the Best PhD Thesis Award in Computer Science for the Academic Year 2012-13.
Mr. Prabhanjan Ananth's MSc (Engg) thesis, under the supervision of Dr. Ambedkar Dukkipati, has won the Best MSc (Engg) Thesis Award in Computer Science for the Academic Year 2012-13.
Mr. Palash Dey has won the ME(CSE) Student Award for the Academic Year 2012-13. Mr. Palash Dey is currently a Ph.D. student in the department.
- Three Ph.D. students of CSA - Anirudh Santhiyar, Gaurav Pandey, and
Swapnil Dhamal have been selected for the award of the IBM Ph.D.
Fellowship, for the academic year 2014-15.
- Dilip Thomas, working with Prof. Vijay Natarajan has been selected for a Best Presentation in the Electrical Sciences Divisional Colloquium, organized during February 20-21 2014, for his presentation entitled "Symmetry Detection in Scalar Fields".
- The Big Data Initiative @ CSA is being launched with a series of public lectures on different/ aspects of Big Data.
The primary objective of the Big Data Initiative is to help build a strong academic and research ecosystem that allows India to address the challenges involved with Big Data, and take a leadership position in this critical area.
- Mr. Kris Gopalakrishnan, one of the founders of Infosys and currently Vice-Chairman, Infosys, has announced the setting up of three chaired professorships in computer science at the Indian Institute of Science.
This is a part of an exemplary initiative for setting up a Centre for Brain Research at IISc through a donation of Rs. 225 Crores by the Pratiksha Trust. For more details, please click here.
- A monograph entitled "Compression Schemes for Mining Large Datasets: A Machine Learning Perspective" has just been published by Springer.
The monograph is authored by T. Ravindra Babu (PhD alumnus of CSA), M. Narasimha Murty (Professor at CSA), and S.V. Subrahmanya (Infosys).
- A new book entitled Ecosystem-Aware Global Supply Chain Management has just been published by the World Scientific Publishing Company.
The book is authored by N. Viswanadham (INSA Senior Scientist at CSA) and S. Kameshwaran (PhD alumnus of CSA and currently at IBM Research Labs, Bangalore).
- Harikrishna Narasimhan wins first prize and Dilip Mathew Thomas receives a Honorable Mention in the Shell India Computational Talent Prize at HiPC 2013.
The award is given to a recent paper published by the student, with
impactful and innovative computational contribution. The award aims to
encourage computational efforts in every field of science.
About 100 papers were submitted for
the SICTP competition. The jury then ranked these papers based on criteria
of Novelty, Presentation and Expected Impact. Visit http://www.hipc.org/hipc2013/shell-computational-talent.php for more
- Shalabh Bhatnagar receives the Fellowship of the IETE (Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers).
- Computer science at IISc is now ranked in the equivalence class 51-75 in the latest world computer science rankings released by ARWU (Academic Ranking of World Universities). IISc CS had been ranked in the range 101-150 in 2012 and 2011. For more details, please click here.
- Arnab Bhattacharyya has joined the department as Assistant Professor. Arnab received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from MIT. He has worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Center for Computational Intractability at Princeton and later at DIMACS/Rutgers.
His research interests include sublinear algorithms, coding theory, graph algorithms, arithmetic combinatorics, probability and discrete harmonic analysis.
- The citation count of Prof. Narasimha Murty's paper on "Data Clustering: A Review" has crossed 8,000 on Google Scholar. Moreover, Prof. Murty's overall citation count has crossed 10,000.
- Saurabh Ray has joined CSA as Assistant Professor.
Saurabh received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany. He has worked as a postdoctoral researcher at Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, Germany, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland, and at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel.
His research interests include algorithms, discrete and computational geometry, and geometric optimization.
- Sunil Chandran has been selected for NASI-Scopus Young Scientist Award for the year 2012. Elsevier has partnered with the National Academy of Sciences, India since 2009 to award this to Indian researchers. The award consists of a citation, a plaques, and a cash prize of Rs. 75,000.
- Mr. N.N.R. Ranga Suri, Ph.D. student at the Department of CSA under the external registration program, has been selected for DRDO Young Scientist Award-2012 for his contributions to data mining projects leading to the creation of a data mining research initiative in the Centre for Artificial
Intelligence and Robotics, DRDO, Bangalore.
- Ramasuri Narayanam who graduated from the Department of CSA in 2011 has been selected for Computer Society of India's Best Ph.D. Thesis Award for the year 2012. Ramasuri's doctoral work was on game theoretic models for social network analysis. He currently works for IBM Research in Bangalore.
- Four Ph.D. students of CSA - Balamurugan P, Prabhu Chandran, Rohith Vallam, and Swapnil Dhamal have been selected for the award of the IBM Ph.D. Fellowship, for the academic year 2013-14.
- The University Grants Commission, Government of India, has upgraded the status of the Department of Computer Science and Automation from a Centre for Advanced Study (CAS) (Level 1) to CAS (Level 2), effective from April 2012. The department will become eligible for the highest status: CAS (Level 3), in 2017.
- Murali Krishna Ramanathan has joined the Department of Computer Science and Automation as Assistant Professor.
Dr. Ramanathan received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Purdue
University. He worked as a Principal Engineer in the core analysis team at
Coverity before joining IISc. His research interests include software
engineering, programming languages, and scalable systems design.
- Jayant Haritsa has been selected for the prestigious IEEE Fellowship effective from January 1,
2013, for his stellar contributions to database systems design.
- Shalabh Bhatnagar elected as a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- I. Nilavalagan, Microsoft (CSA Alumnus), and Deepali Nemade, CSA (Advisor: Jayant Haritsa), win first runner-up prize at IBM ICARE for their video presentation (Tech2Share) on "The CODD Metadata Processor".
- Jay Thakkar and Aditya Kanade win first runner-up prize at IBM ICARE for their poster on "Transducer Models of Sliding Window ARQ Protocols for Noisy Channels".
- Shivani Agarwal has been selected for a
Yahoo! Faculty Research and Engagement award.
The award is in the form of an unrestricted grant.
- IISc has promoted Vijay Natarajan to Associate Professor in CSA.
- Springer has released the book "Stochastic Recursive Algorithms for Optimization: Simultaneous Perturbation Methods" by Prof. Shalabh Bhatnagar, and his PhD students H.L.Prasad and L.A.Prashanth.
The book deals with modern techniques and algorithms for stochastic optimization that are based on simultaneous perturbation approaches. It covers both the theory behind these algorithms and their analyses, and also covers engineering applications in areas such as vehicular traffic control, service systems and communication and wireless networks.
- Chandan Saha has joined the department as Assistant Professor. Chandan received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from IIT Kanpur. Before joining IISc, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Algorithms and Complexity group at MPI Germany. His research interests are in the areas of Computational Complexity, Algebra & Number theory.
- Prof. Vijay Kumar has been selected by the Indian Institute of Science for the TataChem Chair Professorship in Electrical Sciences at IISc.
- Prof. Viswanadham has been selected for the Prof. S.N. Mitra Memorial Award. This is a prestigious award given by INAE recognizing high impact contributions to Indian Engineering and Technology.
- Dr. Aditya Kanade has received the IBM Faculty Award for 2012.
- Dr. Shivani Agarwal has been selected as a Young Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences.
Applications of Automata Theory
(published by World Scientific Publishing, May 2012), edited by Deepak
D'Souza and Priti Shankar published. The book is largely devoted to verification and model checking, and contains material by well-known experts in the field of formal methods.
It will be a useful reference for both software
practitioners and theoreticians working in this area.
- R. Arun selected for MSR India PhD Fellowship 2012. He works in the area of Machine Learning with Dr Shivani Agarwal.
- A book on verses written by Prof. Veni Madhavan
was released on May 19. This 64 page book is a compilation of verses, notes, statistics, and references.
- Ms Jasine Babu selected for the Google India Women in Engineering Award 2012.
The Google India Women in Engineering Award was instituted in 2008 to recognize and reward deserving women students in Computer Science and related majors, and inspire them to become active participants and leaders in creating technology. Dr Meghana (2008) and Ms Preeti Malakar (2011) are the previous winners of this award from the Department of Computer Science and Automation, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- The research proposal, titled "Creative Mechanisms for Outsourcing and Crowdsourcing", by Swaprava Nath from the Game Theory Lab is selected for a Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges (KSC) Honorable Mention Award 2012.
- Professor Ramesh Hariharan, chief technology officer of Strand life Sciences, has joined the department as an adjunct faculty member.
Dr. Ramesh had earlier been a faculty member with the department during 1995-2005 before taking up the position in Strand Life Sciences.
Dr. Ramesh's research expertise and interests are in algorithms,
complexity theory, and computational biology.
- Sujit Gujar wins the Alumni Medal for Best PhD Thesis in CSA (2010-11).
- R. Arun wins Dr. M.N.S. Swamy Medal for Best MSc (Engg) Thesis (2010-11).
- Anirudh Santhiar wins the CSI Medal for Best Student of ME (CSE) (2009-11).
- Shirish Shevade and Chiranjib Bhattacharyya receive Yahoo! Faculty Awards for 2012 in the form of unrestricted research grants.
- The following research students have been selected for awards and honorable mention in the Perspectives Seminars held during August 2011.
1. Pankaj Dayama (PhD)
2. Chandrasekhar L.N. (PhD)
3. Ashwin Guha (MSc Engg)
4. Girish M.R. (PhD)
5. Raghunandan M.A. (PhD)
- It is with deep regret and anguish that we announce the sad news of demise of Professor Priti Shankar on October 17, 2011.
The Department of CSA has lost its most valuable member.
She served CSA and IISc with distinction as a faculty member for 38 years.
She was an excellent researcher, exemplary teacher, and an extraordinary
A two page autobiographical essay by dear madam is attached.
The essay appeared in "Lilavati's Daughters: The Women Scientists of India" published by the Indian Academy of Sciences in 2008.
- It is with deep regret and anguish that we announce the sad news of demise of Professor Priti Shankar on October 17, 2011.
Please visit http://pritishankarhomage.wordpress.com/
- M. Narasimha Murty elected as a fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI).
- R. Govindarajan has been invited to join the editorial board of
IEEE MICRO as Associate Editor.
- Vijay Natarajan selected for Indian National Academy of Engineering Young Engineer Award in Computer Science for the year 2011.
- R. Govindarajan elected as a Fellow of the Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Dr. Uday Kumar Reddy B. is selected by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) for a Faculty Award in the form of an unrestricted research grant for conducting research in compiler assisted partitioning, mapping, and scheduling for heterogeneous systems.
- IISc has promoted Shalabh Bhatnagar to the rank of Full Professor. This is a fast track promotion and his second out-of-turn promotion.
- The paper entitled "A Network Analysis Approach to Understand the Human
Way-finding Problem," authored by Sudarshan, Katharina, Abhiram and Veni
Madhavan has been selected as the best paper in the
Perception/Action category of the Computational Modeling Prizes in the
Cognitive Science Conference COGSCI 2011, of the Cognitive Science
Society, to be held in Boston, USA, during 20-23 July.
The prize, which includes a cheque for $1000, will be announced at the
opening ceremony of this year's conference.
- The following candidates have been short-listed, following the research interviews held during June 6-10, 2011.
- A research monograph entitled "Identity-Based Encryption" has been published by Springer, New York.
The monograph is authored by Sanjit Chatterjee (CSA) and Palash Sarkar (ISI, Kolkata).
- A textbook entitled "Pattern Recognition: An Introduction" has been published by the Universities Press.
The book is authored by Susheela Devi and M. Narasimha Murty.
- Paper by Suthambhara, Vijay Natarajan, and Ravi Nanjundiah titled "A Gradient-Based Comparison Measure for Visual analysis of Multifield Data" wins third best paper award at EuroVis 2011. The paper was selected from 54 papers presented at the conference, which were in turn selected from a total of 194 submissions.
- R. Deepak selected for MSR India PhD Fellowship 2011. He works in the area of Graph Theory and Combinatorics under Sunil Chandran.
- Please see Prospective Students page for
updates on research interviews June 6- June 10, 2011.
- Vijay Natarajan selected for MSR India Outstanding Young Faculty Award for the year 2011.
- Paper co-authored by Himabindu (CSA alumnus, now with IBM Research),
Chiranjib Bhattacharyya (CSA), Indrajit Bhattacharya (CSA),
and Srujana (IBM Research) has won the Best Paper award at the
SIAM International Conference on Data Mining.
- Ravi Kannan, adjunct faculty member at CSA, wins Knuth Prize for the year 2011.
The Donald E. Knuth Prize is a prize for outstanding contributions to the foundations of computer science, named after Donald E. Knuth. The Knuth Prize is awarded every one and a half years since 1996 and includes an award of $5000. The prize is awarded by ACM SIGACT and by IEEE Computer Society's Technical Committee on the Mathematical Foundations of Computing. Prizes are awarded in alternation at the ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing and at the IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, which are among the most prestigious conferences in theoretical computer science. For more details about this year's award, please look up http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/2011/sigact-knuth-prize-2011.
- Achintya Kundu's research
proposal, titled "Efficient First Order Methods for Learning
From Similarities", under the guidance of Prof. Chiranjib Bhattacharyya, wins Yahoo! Key
Scientific Challenges (KSC) Honorable Mention Award 2011.
- R. Govindarajan has been selected for the Satish Dhawan Young Engineer Award of the Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology for the year 2008, for outstanding research in computer science.
- Achintya Kundu wins best perspective seminar award for 2010 - 2011
which featured 30 presentations by first year research students of CSA.
Senthilnathan, Balamurugan, and Prabhanjan won honorable mention awards.
- Preeti Malakar has been awarded the Google India Women In Engineering Award 2011.
The Google India Women in Engineering Award was instituted in 2008 to recognize and reward deserving women students in Computer Science and related majors, and inspire them to become active participants and leaders in creating technology.
- Shivani Agarwal has been awarded
DST's Ramanujan Fellowship. She is the first among CSA faculty to be
awarded this fellowship.
- Summer Internship Programme will be held from May 16, 2011 to July 15, 2011. Second year
and third year students of B.E./B.Tech can apply for the programme.
Last date for application is Feb 28, 2011. For more details visit
- Poster prepared by Dilip Thomas and Vijay Natarajan on "Feature Preserving Mesh Simplification" wins 3rd place
in Microsoft TechVista 2011 poster presentation competition.
- The citation count of Prof Narasimha Murty's paper on "Data Clustering: A
Review" crosses 5000 on google scholar.
- B. Uday Kumar Reddy joins the department as Assistant Professor. Uday received Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering from Ohio State University. Before joining IISc, he was a postdoctoral researcher in the Advanced Compiler Technologies group at the IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights. His research interests are in the areas of Compilation for multicores and accelerators, Automatic parallelization, Programming language and runtime system design.
- C.E. Veni Madhavan has been selected for the IISc Alumni Award for Research Excellence in Engineering for 2011.
- Jayant Haritsa has been elected as a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc).
- IISc has promoted Sunil Chandran to Associate Professor in CSA. He conducts research in the area of Graph theory.
- Patent application on "Retransmission Optimization in Wireless Network" by Shalabh Bhatnagar
has been accepted and published both as a US patent
and also by the World Intellectual Property Organization,
The patent details are given below:
- Sanjit Chatterjee joins the department as an Assistant Professor. Sanjit received his Ph.D. from Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. Before joining IISc, he was a postdoctoral researcher at Centre for Applied Cryptographic Research, University of Waterloo, Canada. His research interests are in the areas of Cryptology and Information Security.
- Chiranjib Bhattacharyya receives
Yahoo! Faculty Research Award for 2011. He was a recipient of this award
in 2009 and 2010 also.
- US patent application of Shalabh Bhatnagar on "Approach for solving a constrained optimization
problem", publication number US 2010/0268677 A1, dt Oct 21, 2010, has been accepted and published.
The details are available at http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2010/0268677.html.
- The poster prepared by K Vasanta Lakshmi, Ph D student, CSA and Dr. K.V. Raghavan, Assistant Professor, was adjudged the best poster in the software engineering track at IBM I-CARE event held in Bangalore on October 22, 2010.
- The mid year research admissions for the session commencing from January 1, 2011 are not being offered this year at IISc. Students desirous of applying for the research program are requested to await the next cycle of admissions which will be announced in February 2011 (for the session commencing from August 1, 2011).
- Aditya Kanade, Assistant Professor, CSA, has been selected for a Faculty Award from Microsoft Research India, Bangalore, in the form of an unrestricted research grant.
- Ramasuri Narayanam, Ph.D. student from the Department has won the Yahoo! Key Scientific Challenges Honorable Mention Award for his research proposal on 'Game Theoretic models for Social Network Analysis.' More details are available at:
- Best Demo Award for Jayant Haritsa's Picasso at VLDB 2010. Haritsa presented the Picasso Database Query Optimizer Visualizer at the VLDB 2010 conference. It has been awarded the Best Demo by the conference committee from among 32 demos that had been selected for presentation at the conference out of 89 international submissions.
- Shivani Agarwal joins the department as an Assistant Professor. Shivani received her Ph.D. in Computer Science from University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. Before joining IISc, she was a postdoctoral associate in the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at MIT. Her research interests are in the areas of machine learning, statistical learning theory, computational biology, cheminformatics, and information retrieval.
- IISc to start four-year Bachelor of Science (BS) Undergraduate Programme. The programme is designed as a balanced blend of core science and interdisciplinary topics, to serve as a launching pad for research and doctoral studies in cutting-edge areas in science and technology. The inaugural batch will begin classes from August 2011 and graduate in July 2015.
- Professor Sunil Kumar, currently with the Stanford Business school, has been appointed as Dean, Booth School of Business, Chicago, Illinois, USA, from January 1, 2011. The Booth School is currently among the top three business schools in the world. Sunil Kumar was a student of CSA in the
ME (SSA) program in the early 1990s.
- K. Gopinath has been invited to the editorial board of ACM Transactions on Storage as Associate Editor.
- R. Govindarajan invited to join the editorial board of IEEE Computer Architecture Letters as Associate Editor.
- K. Gopinath
has received a Faculty Award from Microsoft Research
India, Bangalore, in the form of an unrestricted research grant.
- K. Gopinath, currently Associate Professor at the Department, is promoted as Full Professor.
- Shirish Shevade, currently Principal Research Scientist at the Department, is appointed as Associate Professor.
- Umesh Dayal, who did his BE in IISc and
ME from CSA, and gone on to become a father-figure in the international
database research community, is one of five to be selected for this year's
Distinguished Alumnus Award from IISc. Umesh is currently a Fellow at HP Labs in the US.
His scientific trajectory and achievements
are available at http://www.hpl.hp.com/about/honors/HPfellows/dayal.html
- The following candidates
have been selected for admissions following the interviews held from June 7 to June 11. Your admission is subject to approval by the institute authorities. You will receive the admit letter from IISc after verification of eligibility requirements.
- The following candidates have been short-listed, following the research interviews held during June 7-11, 2010. Kindly note that this is only a short-list and not the final list of selected candidates. The final list of selected candidates will be available in about 10 days time.
- Indrajit Bhattacharya joins the department as an Assistant Professor. Indrajit received his Ph.D. from University of Maryland, College Park. Before joining IISc, he was a Research Scientist in the Information Management group at IBM India Research Laboratory, New Delhi. His research focus is in the areas of machine learning, data mining and graphical models.
- Short-listed candidates for regular and ERP research program have been
invited to attend research interviews during June 7th-11th 2010.
- Vijay Natarajan is selected as a Young Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences for the years 2010-2013.
- Harish Doraiswamy receives the MSR India Ph.D. Fellowship for 2010. The Ph.D. Fellows were selected after a competitive process in which the best Ph.D. scholars in computer science and related areas from all over India participated.
- Vijay Natarajan is selected for INSA Young Scientist Award for the year 2010.
- CSA wins 2nd place in Inter-Departmental Volleyball Tournament
organized by Gymkhana. The team members were Mayuresh, Bhaskar, Janardhan, Navin, Subramanya, Goutham, Lijo,
Manu and GTVR Reddy.
- Sahely Bhadra receives IBM Ph.D. Fellowship award.
- The Department of Computer Science and Automation (CSA), IISc announces the
UGC (University Grants Commmission) Summer
Internship Programme 2010.
- Y. Narahari is selected for the J.C. Bose Fellowship.
The J.C. Bose Fellowship, administered by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, is awarded to scientists and engineers in recognition of their outstanding contributions and performance. The fellowships are scientist-specific and highly selective. For more information on the fellowship, click here
Yahoo! University Hack Day
Competition takes place at IISc. IISc students went through 24 hours of non-stop coding with Yahoo! APIs, widgets and fun to compete in Yahoo!
University Hack Day conducted at IISc. A list of IISc hacks is available
The winners were
Enrich (Rupesh Nasre),
Geo-targetted ads on Yahoo! IM (Paul Victor Raj, Mahesh Bale, Varun Kumar Reddy) and
What'asZat (Subhajit Roy). The honorary mentions were Email Visualizer (Vikram Tankasali, Vinay Jethava) and EvoliSearch (Abhra Maiti, Bhavesh Bharadiya, Bigyan Bhar, Debasish Tapna).
- Y. Narahari is selected for 2009 IBM Faculty Award. The IBM faculty award is a gift in recognition of research achievement. The award is competitive and recognizes the quality of the faculty member's research program and its importance to IBM.
- IISc has promoted Deepak D'Souza to the position of Associate Professor and Shirish Shevade to the position of Principal Research Scientist in CSA.
- Preeti Malakar received the Best Paper Award at the Student Research Symposium held in conjunction with HiPC. The IEEE Technical Committee on Parallel Processing presented this award for her paper titled "An Integrated Simulation and Visualization Framework for Tracking Cyclone Aila" co-authored by Vijay Natarajan, Sathish Vadhiyar (SERC), and Ravi Nanjundiah (CAOS).
- Chiranjib Bhattacharyya receives the Yahoo Faculty Research Award for the second consecutive year.
- Y. Narahari takes over as chairman of CSA.
- List of candidates selected for admissions following the interviews held from Nov 25 to Nov 27.
- List of candidates shortlisted for Ph.D. following the interviews held from Nov 25 to Nov 27.
- Y. Narahari receives General Motors R & D Faculty Award. This is in the form of a special unrestricted research grant in recognition of the excellent collaboration he had with GM R & D in the past decade.
- Hostel accommodation may not be immediately available to the PhD candidates selected in the mid-year research interviews.
- Jayant Haritsa elected as Distinguished Member of ACM. The Distinguished Member Grade recognizes those ACM members who have achieved significant accomplishments or have made a significant impact on the computing field.
- Y. Narahari elected as a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy effective from January 2010.
- Sunil Chandran selected as an associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences.
- Sunil Chandran receives the MSR India Outstanding Young Faculty Award for 2009-2010.
- Jayant Haritsa awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for 2009.
The Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize is given each year for outstanding contributions to science and technology. It is the highest award in the country given to scientists below 45 years. Jayant Haritsa was selected for his contributions to Engineering Sciences. The prize will be given by the Prime Minister at a later function.
- M. Narasimha Murty and Jayant Haritsa elected as Fellows of the Indian National Academy of Engineering.
- Aditya Kanade joins the department as an Assistant Professor. His research interests include the theory and practice of formal methods, software design and analysis, and analysis of embedded software. Prior to joining IISc, he was a postdoctoral research associate at the University of Pennsylvania. He holds a Ph.D. from IIT Bombay.
- Harish D and Sandhya Mannarswamy receive the Best Perspective Seminar 2009 award. Harish's talk was on " Reeb graph and its applications". Sandhya's talk was on " Data Layout Optimizations for Improving Memory System Performance".
- Ambedkar Dukkipati joins the department as an Assistant Professor. Ambedkar received his Ph.D. from IISc and moved to University of Trento, Italy as a Visiting Research Scholar. He spent one year at EURANDOM, Netherlands as a postdoctoral fellow. His research focus is in the areas of statistical information theory and algorithmic commutative algebra and algebraic geometry.
Dinesh Garg and Narahari receive the 2008 Best Application Paper Prize from IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering for their paper titled "A theory of mechanism design for single leader Stackelberg problems and application to procurement auctions". A preliminary version of this work had earlier won for Dinesh Garg a Best Presentation Award in IRISS 2006 (Inter IISc-IITs Research Symposium), held in IIT-Kanpur.
Research interviews for admission to the M.Sc. (Engg.) / Ph.D. program will be held between June 8 - June 12. Notifications have been sent to all shorlisted candidates by email and by post. Please read this note before you appear for the interview.
- GATE no longer required for
admission to the Ph.D. program
elected as a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences
Y. Narahari receives the Alumni Award for Excellence in Research for Engineering - 2009 from IISc
K. Murali Krishnan receives Alumni Medal for the Best Ph.D. Thesis
B. Naveen receives M.N.S. Swamy Medal for the Best M.Sc. (Engg.) Thesis in CSA
D. Harish receives CSI Medal for the Best M.E. Student in CSA
Ravi Kannan joins CSA as the first adjunct faculty of IISc. He is a Principal Researcher at Microsoft Research India, where he heads the algorithms research group. Before joining Microsoft, he was the William K. Lanman Jr. Professor of Computer Science and Professor of Applied Mathematics at Yale University. His research interests are in the areas of theoretical computer science, optimization, massive data sets, sampling, clustering, Markov chains, linear algebra algorithms and applications.
Chiranjib Bhattacharyya receives the Yahoo Faculty Research Award for 2009
- T. Kavitha receives the INAE Young Engineer Award 2008. The purpose of the award is to recognise outstanding achievements / contributions made by young engineers in all branches of engineering.
- Sunil Chandran receives the Young Scientist Platinum Jubilee Award in physical sciences from the National Academy of Sciences, India. The academy instituted the award to recognize promise, creativity, and excellence in young scientists.
- K.V. Raghavan joins the department as an assistant professor. Raghavan received his Ph.D. from University of Wisconsin-Madison and spent two years in IBM T. J. Watson Research Center as a postdoctoral researcher. Before joining IISc, he was a Research Staff Member at IBM India Research Lab, New Delhi. His research interests are in programming languages, programming tools, and software engineering.
- Jayant Haritsa selected for the Hari Om Ashram Prerit Dr.
Vikram Sarabhai Research Award for 2007 in the field of Electronics, Telematics, Informatics and Automation.
Shri Hari Om Ashram, Nadiad, has instituted Vikram Sarabhai Awards biennially in the fields of: Space Sciences (Astronomy, Astrophysics, Planetary and Atmospheric Sciences); Space Applications (Meteorology, Hydrology, Remote Sensing); Electronics, Informatics, Telematics and Automation; Systems Analysis of Nonlinear, Non-equilibrium systems.
The awards, which carry a medal and a cash prize of Rs. 50000, are given to Indian scientists of age not above 45 years for outstanding original research in the above fields.
- Jayant Haritsa receives the Google Research Award for 2008. The Google Research Awards program aims to identify and support world-class, full-time faculty pursuing research in areas of mutual interest. The intent of the awards is to support academic research aimed at improving information access.
- T. Kavitha receives the INSA Young Scientist Award for 2008
- Dilip Patil joins the department as an associate faculty.
- Sujit Prakash Gujar receives the Best Perspectives Seminar 2007 award for his talk titled "Some issues in auctions with manipulative players".
- Priti Shankar to receive the Jaya-Jayant award for teaching excellence for the year 2007.
- Y. Narahari named a Fellow of the IEEE for "contributions to the design of manufacturing systems, supply chain networks, and electronic markets".
- Two CSA Alumni, S. Rajasekaran (M.E. 1981-83, currently at Univ. Connecticut, Storrs) and S.V. Nageshwara Rao (M.E. 1982-84, currently at Oakridge National Labs, Norfolk, VA) named IEEE Fellows.
- Sunil Chandran receives the INSA Young Scientist Award for 2007.
- T. Kavitha selected as an associate of the
Indian Academy of Sciences
- CSA receives FIST grant from DST. The Department of Science and Technology awarded a FIST (Fund for Infrastructure in Science and Technology) grant to CSA. Based on the recommendation of the FIST advisory board, CSA will receive Rs. 200 lakhs over a period of five years. This is the largest single grant received by CSA from any funding agency. The funding will be used to support research in all aspects of next general computing.
- Sathish Govindarajan joins the faculty. Sathish received his Ph.D. from Duke University and spent two years as a postdoctoral researcher at MPI, Germany. His research interests are in the areas of combinatorial geometry, spatial data structures, and computational geometry.